[Buddha-l] Emptiness and not being able to imagine dying [confused]

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon May 31 18:32:41 MDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 17:31, "lemmett at talk21.com" <lemmett at talk21.com>
wrote:

> Well I asked some analytic philosophers about this and suddenly they
> weren't so interested in talking.

Which analytic philosophers did you ask? And what question did you ask
them?

> Is there no conceivable alternative to the tetralemma or just no
> alternative at all?

According to Nagarjuna, the four alternatives cover all possible
answers that can be given to a question.

> If the latter I just don't understand

So tell me in what ways your life would be improved if you did
understand.

> unless I accept that there is no tathagata that dies...

Perhaps there is no tathagata. So how can something that does not
exist die?

Think of presuppositional failure. It may help take some of the
mystery out of the enigma.

Remember this: Buddhism is incompatible with mystery. If you find this
mysterious, you're not yet thinking as a Buddhist.

not Richard nor non-Richard nor both nor neither