[Buddha-l] mindfulness

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Nov 6 11:07:45 MST 2013

Dear Denizens,

Dan wrote, of mindfulness,

> So there is no exact single definition, though there are numerous exact definitions. Numerous exact definitions adds up to a vague term.

I'd add that the term's vagueness has been useful in facilitating its appropriation and commodification by the spiritual-industrial complex. _Mindfulness in the Marketplace_, edited by Allen Badiner back in 2002, began to explore this. But with with with Buddhists and scientists still strangely in bed together, and mindfulness programs invading K-12 education (I should know; I'm part of the problem/solution), the whole mindfulness industry needs serious critical inquiry.

Franz