[Buddha-l] nytimes articleon theEmory UTibetans andScience project

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Oct 12 21:39:29 MDT 2013

On Oct 12, 2013, at 20:31, "Dan Lusthaus" <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ok, so while you accuse me of being unable to read, you admit you don't read nor pay attention to context. And then comes the accusation...

I admitted that I did not read the NY Times article. I simply deleted it without reading. Erik wrote something that intrigued me. I responded to it without reading the subject line of the message. I meant exactly what I said: I love science, and I love Buddhism, but I don't think anything is to be gained by mixing them. It was a very short statement into which you read all manner of extremely silly subtext. That kind of sloppy hermeneutics may pass for genius at Harvard, but out here in the canyon lands it looks like a pile of cow dung.

> Mirror-gazing, projection and bogus accusations seem to be your game, not mine.

So you have said many times. As you have also said to various people, simply repeating a vacuous claim does not make it credible. That's true. Heed your own truth.

Look, you got caught reading much more into a very simple statement than was there. Nothing to be ashamed of. You made an asinine remark, and you got caught. It happens to everyone. Relax, Danny me boy. You'll have a heart attack if you don't learn to chill a bit.

But let's move on to something less personal and of perhaps more interest than all these red herrings. I will rename the thread to something more suitable and explain in a little more detail what I said rather cryptically, and perhaps some other people would like to join in the discussion.