[Buddha-l] Big is beautiful (was: Review of a review)

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Fri Jul 2 19:32:45 MDT 2010

Richard et al.,

You wrote,

> My usage came out to around 975 cubic meters per
> year, a little less than half the usage of the average
> American and about the same as the average Indian.

Hey, not too bad. I was at 1039, but I allocated all our landscaping
and dishwashing water to myself, so we are probably comparable. Being
in Los Angeles, I need to respect my dry environment, as you do. My
wife (who grew up in Iowa) insisted on a small lawn which uses about
2/3 of our entire irrigation water though it takes up less than 1/10
of our garden area. I feel about it much as I do about eating meat: in
other words, sadly well attached. But none of this, as you point out,
holds a candle to cotton--once California's #1 cash crop, now
supplanted by marijuana! If we just switched cotton for hemp, perhaps
the marijuana would be weeded out (it is a weed, after all).

But it would be best if we just left the Southwest to the sky-clad
plants, out in the sun, digambara!

Franz